1. Love is unique to human beings.
In the first paragraph, the author states that love is what "makes him [humans] the greatest of them all...for he alone of all animals is capable of love." This proves the answer correct.
A word with a negative connotation is a word that is meant in a negative way. Love and spirit are almost always used positively. Sacrifice can be either negative or positive, but in this passage sacrifice is an honorable, positive thing. Weak is the only word used in a negative way.
3. The writer explores personal thoughts and opinions but does not present facts.
Throughout the passage there are only thoughts and opinions. We see this with his use of the pronouns we and our. These pronouns include the author in his subject. There are no statements of fact.
4. He freely shares his strong opinions.
In the dialogue, Bob's opinion was not asked for initially. The dialogue starts with Bob saying , "Look at that terrible painting!". He freely shares his strong opinion before even realizing that it was created by his friend.
5. There is a contrast between the truth and a mistaken view.
Bob says that Amanda's painting would definitely win over the one he deems as terrible. However, he doesn't realize until the end that the one he thinks is terrible is Amanda's painting.
6. a phrase consisting of a present or past participle and its modifiers that acts as an adjective
For example: The boy doing his homework did not hear his mom call him for dinner. The participle phrase is "doing his homework". It begins with a present participle, doing, and includes modifiers that describe which boy did not hear his mom call.
7. The Grand Canal in China, the oldest man-made waterway in the world, is still used today.
An appositive phrase should not use the word "which" to begin the phrase. An appositive phrase is an adjective phrase that must be offset with commas and can be removed from the sentence without impacting the meaning of the sentence.
8. to relate a noun or pronoun to another word
A preposition tells where one noun or pronoun is in relation to another word. For example, the dog was in the house. In is a preposition that tells you where the dog is in relation to the house.
9. A monologue is a long speech spoken by one character.
Monologue can be separated into root words. Mono means one and log has to do with words or speech. Put them together and you get a speech by one.
10. JOHN. [pleading] You've got to help me.
In this line the stage direction, pleading, tells the actor who is playing John how to say his lines. Options A and C only explain what the actor should do physically and B has no stage directions.
11. I, II, III, and IV, the tone of voice, an action, the scenery, and sound effect.
Stage directions include every piece of information that is not spoken aloud. Plays that have few stage directions open themselves up to a lot of interpretation by the director because the playwright has not been specific about how the actors should perform the lines or how the set should be created.
12. a conversation between characters in a play
The dialogue of a play is everything that is said aloud. Therefore if it were limited to just a conflict, the downfall, or a long speech much of the play would be missing!
I hope you have a good rest of your day/night :)