Lady connotes someone who is polite, classy, and sophisticated.
Lady simply denotes a female woman.
2.Learn how a root word changes when used as a noun, verb, adjective, or adverb to learn multiple related words at the same time.
4.Malaprops make your reader question your credibility.
5.The difference between the word's denotation and connotation.
9.The writer is too worried about repeating words.
10.III and IV
1. Chain of Association, Cluster, and Spider Web are all forms of what?
2. Which of the following best describes a vocabulary system called Word Forms?
Learn how a root word changes when used as a noun, verb, adjective, or adverb to learn multiple related words at the same time.
3) If you learn words that are all associated with the same main idea, such as learning words associated with weather, what technique are you using?
4) What should you keep in mind when using a dictionary or thesaurus?
Malaprops make your reader question your credibility.
5) What should he keep in mind when choosing the best word for the letter?
The difference between the word's denotation and connotation.
6) This sentence is an example of which of the following?
7) This sentence is probably an example of which of the following?
8) Which of the following was the writer probably considering most when choosing the words in this sentence?
9) What criticism would most creative writing instructors make of the following passage?
The writer is too worried about repeating words.
10) Which of the following ways of saying the same thing is now considered appropriate?
III and IV
1. The denotation of the word rose is a particular kind of flower commonly used for giving and for expressing appreciation and emotion.
2. The denotation of the word bony is something that has or contains many bones while the connotation is related to any object that appears to be of thin/skinny proportions.
3. When refering to a snake, its connotation would be of an animal, reptile species whose dwellings are scattered around the world, limbless and are commonly known for being poisonous. Its connotation would be of a person or characteristic of a person with untrustworthy reputation, deceitful or evil.
4. The denotation of short would be something/someone of reduced, brief or smaller proportions, whereas its connotation would be commonly used in a negative manner to imply stature or in other times in a positive manner or formality.
A word’s connotation is an idea associated wit the word.
Connotation represents the various social overtones, cultural implications, or emotional meanings associated with a sign. − Denotation represents the explicit or referential meaning of a sign. Denotation refers to the literal meaning of a word, the 'dictionary definition.
The denotation of realist is “someone who understands the world accurately,” and the connotation is that she is reliable and effective.
The denotation of a word is the dictionary definition. It is the literal meaning of the word. The connotative meaning of a word is the feeling or idea it invokes that is different or more than its denotative meaning. It is the secondary meaning of the word. The word realist is defined as "someone who understands the world accurately". The person sees the world exactly for what it is. The connotative is that this person is reliable and effective. A realist is not usually considered ambitious and creative because they do not see the world in a way other than how it is.
The denotation of rose is a particular kind of flower, while the connotation is of romantic love
2 is hard to find
the denotations of the word snake might be "reptile," "scaly," or "without legs." Connotations of the word, however, might include "treachery," "evil," or "betrayal."
the denotation is just describing someone who is not tall. ... The connotation of short can be negative when compared to words like little or tiny, but it can also seem positive compared to some other word choices such as stubby or elfin.
1. drag the central argument paine presents and its two claims to complete the chart. argument claims america may have flourished more had it not been under the power of any european country. america may have flourished under britain in the past, but there is no guarantee that it will continue to flourish in the future. america will continue to flourish as long as the essential food products it sells are bought and eaten in europe. the american colonies will no longer flourish when britain makes war against them. britain's king has shown himself to be prejudiced against the colonies, rather than wanting them to flourish.
2.select the sentence in this passage that can be classified as a false statement.
although few humans per year are attacked by polar bears, any individual attack can be terrifying and even fatal. the warming of arctic regions has allowed the intrusion of humans into the polar bears’ habitat, increasing the danger of harmful contacts. remaining alert and using precautions can humans avoid a negative encounter with a polar bear. traveling together and staying close to the group can humans avoid bear attacks. certain weapons, including nonlethal ones such as pepper spray, are effective against polar bears. once a bear has decided to attack, however, nothing can be done.
3.select the sentence in this passage that demonstrates the fallacy of making an extreme either-or claim.
the civil war was the bloodiest conflict in the history of the united states. more than 600,000 soldiers lost their lives. the fighting took place in many different cities and throughout the countryside. the wounded often suffered acute pain while in the field hospitals. they all should have asked for better care. william hammond, the surgeon general of the union army, created a new system of sanitary field care. if people do not accept hammond as the most important person from the civil war, they have no understanding of the war.
this is incorrect
this is false